Wednesday, January 17, 2007

DRYWALL FOLLIES




You know, I hate drywall. I mean the stuff that was already installed and painted when I bought the house is fine. Who wants to look at load-bearing 4X4's? But seriously the moment we decided to finish out the rest of this basement I knew it was going to be an issue.

First off, J drywalled the basement with mostly his dad's help. I can't take any credit for that. They did an ok job... J shouldn't quit his day job essentially but it works. We hired a guy to come texture the ceiling and tape and mud. That went well except now I have to clean all the dust up. Do you know how annoying that is? I got the brilliant idea to use some dry cheesecloth to clean off the walls BIG MISTAKE!! I think I have permanently filled my lungs with drywall dust. Between letting the air settle, and using a huge shopvac of my neighbors (that smelled very bad - how does a shopvac smell horrible?) my back is really sore. We were supposed to have someone come in to prime and paint for us. She gave us an astronomical figure; and neither of us trusted her. So I somehow ended up with painting duties. I can paint but I hate to paint. Seriously - most hated thing you could ask me to do besides cleaning a toilet. But if it means saving $2,000.00 I'm going to do it.

Back to the drywall dust... so I get the cloths wet and start to clean off the dust so I can begin to prime the walls. J was helping at first, and then mysteriously disappears. I'm wondering but keep going. Then I can smell the aroma of popcorn. I go upstairs and he's sitting on the couch, watching The Simpsons and eating popcorn!!! At that point all you can do is roll your eyes. He actually had the cojones to ask me if I was going to start priming tomorrow!!!! Husbands - don't you love them? All I have to say is I can't wait for this basement to be done. And even though I've said it before, we are never finishing another basement again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure. I would NEVER be doing that myself. Unless...hm...well...nope. Never mind. I'm just shaking my head here. I hope the horrific experience is over for you soon!