Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SEND IN THE CLOWN



Clowns. Did you know that is the number one fear of society? Not spiders, not even heights (althought they rank up there pretty high). Yes clowns. And how could you not? I mean has any of you watched the movie, "IT" by Stephen King? Man that's one scary ass clown. I mean seriously; I wouldn't want that mutha at my birthday party!

Now, the "Pates Baroni" clown as shown here, he's not the sewer dwelling kinda clown like King's Pennywise was. Maybe if Pennywise ate something other than the fears of children, he wouldn't have been so bloody crabby. Plus dude was in serious need of a good dental plan. But this fun-loving clown has meaning in this household. Kierra LOVES pasta. And when I say love, I mean this kid would eat it 24-7 if you let her. Every day, there is a box of pasta sitting on my counter top. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm making it; but it'll still be perched on the counter just the same. Kierra adores anything pasta related... cue the picture. This picture is displayed in most eatteries that serves pasta. And that's where Kierra first saw it. She is a girl of few words, but she always smiles and says "pasta" when she sees him. We laughed, and thought it cute. To see her face light up every time she saw it; it was great to see something having such a positive effect on her.

So anyways, I was in Michael's Crafts looking at prints, and happened on this particular print "Pates Baroni". I immediately thought of Kierra and had to buy it. We have a Tuscan themed kitchen, so it fit right in there. So the "spaghetti clown," as he has been affectionately be named, has definately become part of our art culture. It's funny what people consider to be tasteful art. Some people love impressionism, others like abstract... we like the spaghetti clown. People do often look at it; and look at us like "okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkay" but hey, it's all subjective. Besides, how can you not love a clown? Oh that's right...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clowns first started freaking me out when I saw Poltergeist (WAY BACK WHEN). From what I hear others say, that was the movie that did it for them also. It must have made an impression on our generation!

Anonymous said...

My pediatrician..MINE...used to paint clowns and hang the pictures in his office. Wanna talk scary? What does a toddler know from clowns that are hand painted and cree-eepy at that age. Ugh. Nightmares!

Anonymous said...

Not sure I like clowns now, but I used to years ago.

My son has a real problem with the joker from Batman - he resembles a clown, with that white face. For the longest time we couldn't go to Applebee's for a meal because they hung movie photos on the walls, including dear Jack Nicholson as the Joker!

Anonymous said...

I was never creeped out by clowns when I was little, but I am now. Wouldn't call it a phobia, necessarily, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to hang out with clowns either.

But a clown that makes pasta can hang out at my house any day too.

Dustanne said...

I love the movie 'It' and Poltergiest.....lol
No fear of clowns here, but I do have a fear of those things that were in a movie (they look human...move around by strings, mouth just goes up and down)
now how creepy are those????

Maria said...

Oh, God...I had to bite my lip just reading your post title. I am THAT scared of clowns.

Mrs. S. said...

They freak me out too.. Which is why the picture on this post
is a bit ironic..